Live From The Nosebleeds

If you want unadulterated analysis of basketball, whether it's the NBA, college basketball, or some pick-up game I saw yesterday, take a gander at my blog.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Notebook: Coach Cal, Mickey D's Meat Market, Mateen Cleaves?

No, this is not a critical analysis of that movie with Ryan Gosling.

This is my new way of doing things. Whenever I want to touch on three or more topics, I'm labeling the post as "The Notebook" so that readers don't think I'm going off on asinine tangents.

Off we go...



  • Kentucky, despite what John Calipari says about being a regular guy who does not "walk on water", your savior has arrived. It took an eight year deal just shy of 32 million, but you got him. Yes, there are probably at least ten better coaches in terms of X's and O's out there, but I don't think there's a better salesperson in college basketball than Calipari. He'll do what Tubby Smith and Billy Gillespie couldn't do before him and get the best talent college basketball has to offer. It might start as early as this year, since Xavier Henry and DeMarcus Cousins have the right to void their letters of intent and join Cal. Even if those two follow JC with Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson returning, Wildcat nation shouldn't expect a one year turnaround, but I'll take the under on a Final Four appearance within the next three years. Anybody want action? Completely unrelated, if you keep watching the clip under the link above, check out Bow Wow on First Take. While I was typing this, I heard someone's voice talking about Cal's hiring and I said to myself, "This guy knows what he's talking about." Turned out it was Bow Wizzle. Weird... sounds more meaningful on set than he does in a recording booth.

  • The McDonald's All-American game is tonight. In the pros, all-star games are utter dunk fests and highlight-reel templates. The Mickey D's game isn't really that different, but pundits jump to far too many conclusions of a player's talent/future based upon a glorified pick-up game. Maybe it's not so much the case anymore since players can't jump to the pros after the prom anymore, but over-judgement still lingers. If unsigned hype Lance Stephenson goes for 40 tonight, he'll instantly shoot to the No.1 pick in NBADraft.net's 2010 Mock Draft. If Xavier Henry shoots 3-20, people will say he struggles with his shot selection. I don't know, this game which in reality means so little will help writers formulate opinions that stick far too easily. I'm guilty of this, too: two years ago when I watched O.J. Mayo struggle to hit a jumper in this game, I automatically assumed he'd be Dajuan Wagner '09, a stereotype that I've had a hard time letting go despite strong evidence to the contrary (don't worry, there's still time). My point is this: enjoy the game, enjoy the advertising, but avoid rash generalizations.

  • He's alive! Mateen Cleaves escaped from obscurity today and I actually heard him on two separate ESPN interviews: once on First Take and the other on Colin Cowherd's show. There were definitely better point guards in his day, maybe even on his own team (Charlie Bell has turned out to be a decent NBA player). But, that Cleaves fella could lead a team. I remember watching the Florida/MSU national title game in 2000 (incidently the first pool I ever won), and the Spartans were giving it to the Gators. All of the sudden, #12 in green got hurt, limped to the sideline in great pain. Mike Miller and Co. went on a little run, and I thought that, "Yes! The most improbable pick in tourney history is about to manifest itself!" Then, that little annoying Spartan came limping back on the court, and all of the sudden he's jumping up and down like nothing ever happened. To this day I believe his injury was an Izzo-induced ploy, but nonetheless it's a ploy that worked to the tune of a national championship. I knew Cleaves would never pan out as an NBA starter or even a good player off the bench, but it's good to still see him as an ambassador of Michigan State Spartan basketball.

Finally, a cruel April Fool's joke played by my cell phone: I scheduled an advising appointment for today, and when I got there there was a sign saying, "Knock when you arrive for your appointment." I knocked. No answer. I figured she hadn't arrived yet, so I pulled out my phone with the intention of playing poker until she arrived. Guess what? My phone, which I am POSITIVE was turned on ALL MORNING, was off. First message: "Dr.________ has cancelled all of her appointments for today." Did I mention Towson is a full half hour's drive away?

Happy April Fool's Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home