Live From The Nosebleeds

If you want unadulterated analysis of basketball, whether it's the NBA, college basketball, or some pick-up game I saw yesterday, take a gander at my blog.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Couldn't last forever...

When I wrote in my last post, I said that it would be next to impossible for the Dallas Mavericks to win 78 straight games. Four games later, they proved me right against the Wizards in a 106-97 loss to the Washington Wizards. Much to my dismay, I have to give the Wiz props for ending the Mavs fantastic run; they shot lights out, and I swore that at some point mid-way through the third quarter they were shooting over 60%. Honestly, it wasn't even like Dallas played horrific defense. Gilbert Arenas did what he usually does except at a higher degree of difficulty, and when Deshawn Stevenson shoots like Rip Hamilton, good things usually happen.

However, I'm not going to give the Wiz all the credit in the world. Jason Terry and Josh Howard combined--and this is not a misprint--COMBINED for nine points. I don't think I've ever seen a game where they both struggled like that. It wasn't like Caron Butler and Stevenson played All-NBA defense either. Neither one of them seemed assertive enough to look for their own shot. Count it as an off-night for the good guys, who seemed really shaken by Monday's loss when they took the court last night. Good to see that they're back playing that stifling defense that all of the sudden I've become accustomed to seeing.

Maryland plays the Fordham University Rams (my father and Smush Parker's alma mater) tonight at the Comcast Center. It's a trap game of sorts, one last tune-up before Maryland's real season officially starts against Boston College on Sunday. But, I can almost guarantee that the Terps will put this one away early for three reasons: 1) it's in front of the nation's most underrated crowd, 2) they're coming off a loss and have had to listen to Gary Williams berate them for the last four days, and 3) the Rams just aren't on the same stratosphere in terms of talent level.

That being said, it will still be an interesting watch (if it's even on television, I haven't checked). This is a good game for Ekene Ibekwe to bounce back after not playing against Illinois and being held virtually in check against the Drinkin', er, Fightin' Irish. I'd also like to see Mike Jones finally become as assertive as the second rated shooting guard behind Lebron James in his high school class should be. And, after praising him in my last blog, I would like to see Greivis Vasquez play more under control. As long as the Terps don't completely look past this potentially dangerous squad (trap game, remember), I see a comfortable 15-20 point win.

Other news and observations from around the world of basketball:

* There have already been three No.1's in college roundball: Florida, Ohio State, and now UCLA. I say this every year, but there's a tremendous amount of parity in college basketball, much more so than in any other sport, except for maybe college football, but that's okay because at least basketball has a playoff system. I know this is a basketball blog, but it just kills me every year how a computer and some ivory tower voters have complete control over who gets to the national championship game. That being said, I really think it should be Towson playing OSU.

*Weird story about Brian Davis and Christian Laettner, former Duke Blue Devils/NBA players ponying up money to buy the Memphis Grizzlies. Without getting into the financial aspect of it (which, believe me, would make no sense if I tried), a couple questions linger in my mind. First, where does Davis get $40 million to put into this venture? Last I recalled he was a marginal player at Duke and played like three games in the NBA (okay, 68). Second, why on earth would anybody want to purchase a team that is ultimately stock in neutral? They've always been good enough to make the playoffs but not even good enough to win a playoff game, and now they have the worst record in the league. That being said, if they win the draft lottery things may change. Could you imagine a Greg Oden/Pau Gasol frontcourt? Scaaary...

* This may be the best article of the day, straight out of the Detroit Free-Press. Hey, try this as a drinking game. Watch an NBA game on ESPN, TNT, or your local team on whatever local channel, and see how many times someone mentions the new ball. Don't worry, you can pass out on my couch.

Until next time, kiddies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home