Live From The Nosebleeds

If you want unadulterated analysis of basketball, whether it's the NBA, college basketball, or some pick-up game I saw yesterday, take a gander at my blog.

Monday, October 09, 2006

NBA Preview: Charlotte Bobcats

Through crazy circumstances, I haven't exactly lived up to my promise of a team per day. In fact, my profile package due for this class was a total disaster, and I'm still trying to get over that. The package had promise, but unfortunately I am computer retarded. So, I have the article, the pictures, and the audio, and it's almost a week since the deadline passed and I haven't been able to figure it out. I'll have to document that project as a loss and move on to the next one.

So yeah, sorry I haven't been able to post these, but I'm going to try to re-dedicate myself to previewing all the teams for all three of you who read this.

Today we have the Charlotte Bobcats.

Fondest Bobcat Memory: I've seen like one game in their first two seasons, so I guess this question is irrelevant regarding the Bobcats. But, I do have plenty of Adam Morrison memories, especially since he's been on TV a ton more than the Bobcats themselves. The image of him crying against UCLA with 1.3 seconds left in the game showed me a lot about Morrison's character. Yes, some criticize him about crying while the outcome of the game was still very much up in the air, but I think it speaks volumes about his love for the game. I can't remember the last player I saw cry in a game, and I certainly can't remember the last time someone made a commercial about it.

Last Year: People will be quick to call a 26-56 injury-prone season miserable, but I'll focus on the positives. They led the league in steals and turnovers forced, which tells me that while they weren't stingy on defense (they did give up 101 points per game), they never gave their opponents a night off. Plus, take into account that their best player, Emeka Okafor, played in only 26 games and you can see that this Bobcat team wasn't in top form last year. Gerald Wallace showed everybody that he is on the cusp of being a superstar, despite the fact that he missed significant time as well. Brevin Knight produced solid numbers from the point guard slot, but more importantly Raymond Felton showed people why he is the point guard of the future. He outperformed 2005 draft classmate Deron Williams, whom I thought was severely overrated anyway. If only rookie teammate Sean May got a chance to show the same promise before he got hurt. Did I mention that this team had a ton of injuries?

This Year: The Bobcats' win total is headed in the right direction, as long as they can keep their best players on the court. If Okafor and Wallace especially stay healthy, this team has a chance to be 10 games better than last year. I like Morrison the player, but as for him being a good addition for this team, I'm not quite sold. ESPN's John Hollinger agrees with me. I mean, he plays the same position as Gerald Wallace, and don't try to sell me on the fact that he can play the two guard position. I think it would be interesting to see him and Joe Naimath in a foot race. Not Joe Naimath in his prime; Joe Naimath today. But, regardless of what position Morrison plays, he will score quite a bit this year. With another year of experience, I look for Raymond Felton to emerge as one of the East's top point guards this year.

Player on the Rise: I'm not even going to repeat myself. I'm extremely high on Raymond Felton. (By the way, I've heard this expression and have found myself using this expression very often. Do journalists mean this literally?).

Player on the Decline: Tough category for this team, because I think almost everybody on this roster has some upside. I'm reserving judgement on May, because honestly we just haven't seen enough of him. Unfortunately, the player who fits this spot is Knight. I expect his minutes to drop drastically with the development of Felton, and in crunch time I feel like he's going to be the odd man out in the rotation (I figure Bernie Bickerstaff will go against my reccommendations and use Wallace and Morrison at the same time in tough situations). Plus, Knight isn't getting any younger.

Justin's Take: I did an exercise in my head the other day and thought about the best eight teams in the Eastern Conference. I'm sure they won't hold to form, but unfortunately I can't see Charlotte leap-frogging any of the teams on the waiting list, teams like the Celtics, the 76ers, and the Magic. However, I do think they'll be in it until March, and then during the off-season they may spend a little bit of money and break into the top eight.

Projected Record: 36-46

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home