Live From The Nosebleeds

If you want unadulterated analysis of basketball, whether it's the NBA, college basketball, or some pick-up game I saw yesterday, take a gander at my blog.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

NBA Preview: The Boston Celtics

Stop No. 2 out of 29 brings us to Beantown, home of Larry Legend and Red Auerbach. Let's open up my crystal ball (which some of you already say I should take back to the store I got it from because it's defective).

Fondest Celtic Memory: Most people would insert their most poignant Larry Bird memory in this slot, but I'll admit it: Bird was a tad bit before my time. I remember him during the twilight of his career, and he was still damn good then, but most of my memories of him are highlights on those NBA Finals shows on ESPN. My favorite memory actually came from the first game of the Rick Pitino era, when the Celtics played the Bulls to open up the '97-'98 season (Michael Jordan's "last" season). The young Celtics supposedly had no chance going in, and it showed early on as the Chi-town raced to an early 20 point lead. But, a budding star named Antoine Walker and a promising point guard named Chauncey Billups saved the day, leading the Celtics to an improbable (especially against MJ) come from behind victory. I had seen comebacks before, but that game taught me that hustle and heart can overcome talent anyday.
God, that was really cliche. Sorry.

Last Year: Paul Pierce had his best year as a pro, but even he couldn't make up for the Hawks' lack of post presence. Delonte West had a surprisingly effective year playing out of position but producing in almost every statistical category, and when Wally Szczerbiak came over from the T'Wolves he put points on the board. But, after a promising rookie year, Al Jefferson took a couple steps in the wrong direction and actually lost his starting spot to Ryan Gomes. This team lacked in toughness and probably only won as many games as they did through talent on the perimeter. It's never good when your leading rebounder only grabs seven a game... and it's your starting swingman.

This Year: My friend Hakeem said it best. "This team is hard to get a read on because they have so many young guys." I agree, to a point. Speaking of points in smooth transition, embattled point guard Sebastian Telfair makes his way over from Portland, giving the Celts a true playmaker but, unfortunately, another young player. Depending on which journalist you ask, Telfair is either a good pick-up or "just another 5'11" point guard", according to ESPN columnist Bill Simmons. So, there are alot of question marks on this team. But, they do have Paul Pierce, and he'll get them 20 wins by himself. He might have to.

Player on the Rise: Gomes looked really good during the second half of the year, and even though he's a tweener at 6'7", he's a grinder like Mike McDermott (sorry, too much poker lately). I think his overall upside is limited (compared to the other kids on this roster), but I expect to see a jump in production for him this season.

Player on the Decline: I wonder if we're ever going to figure out how good Kendrick Perkins is. To me, him and Jefferson are the keys to this team, but at least I've seen flashes of Jefferson's potential. On a team devoid of big men, Perkins HAS to give them some presence.

Justin's Take: I can't tell where this team is headed. Telfair helps I think, but he's not going to get them over the hump. This team does have potential, but the clock is ticking on that potential. With the exception of West, none of the younger guys have panned out the way Danny Ainge thought they would. Maybe this is the year they blossom. If not, hey, they'll have another mid-first round pick to try and develop.

Projected Record: 37-45

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home