Live From The Nosebleeds

If you want unadulterated analysis of basketball, whether it's the NBA, college basketball, or some pick-up game I saw yesterday, take a gander at my blog.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

NBA Preview: Portland Through the End

Wow what a semester this has been. Through a combination of being a first-time parent and a full-time worker, I've had to admittedly put school on the backburner this semester. Waste of money? Definitely, but I'll be back next semester with a much different outlook.

Anywho, I HAVE to finish this because I actually want to start talking about more pertinent stuff on here, like how the Maryland Terrapins are impressive on the court (not to mention the gridiron), what's wrong with the Mavericks, and why the hell Utah's off to such a hot start.

But first...

The Portland Trailblazers

Burning Question: Is Jarrett Jack the answer at point guard for the Blazers?

Justin's Take: On paper this certainly isn't a bad team. You've got two rookies in Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge who will be (and some argue actually are already) very good NBA players. Zach Randolph is playing like he did a couple years ago when he burst onto the scene almost out of nowhere. But, I guess if there is a question mark on this team it's at point guard with Jack. I mean, he's a solid point guard, don't get me wrong. I watched him constantly rip up John Gilchrist at Maryland for a couple years. But, he's just not the kind of player that fans can really be excited about being annointed the floor general for a team that has looked pathetic the past couple of seasons. Then again, neither was Sebastian Telfair or Steve Blake, otherwise those two would still be in a Blazer uniform. As for the team, I expect this them to be back in the lottery next year as a leading contender in the Greg Oden sweepstakes.

Projected Record: 24-58

The Sacramento Kings

Burning Question: Are they still a playoff team in a crowded West?

Justin's Take: The West is tough, and it's simple math: SOMEONE isn't going to make it, and to be blunt I think the Lakers and Kings are going to be the two teams from last year that don't make it back. The reasons are eerily similar: I don't think the Kings did enough in the off-season. They lost Bonzi Wells (although I don't blame them because there are better ways to spend $10 million) and didn't do anything to better their bench. This is practically the same team that rallied in the second half of the season to grab that 8th spot, and they lost arguably their best offensive player during the playoffs. Of course, Kevin Martin is stepping in and doing a fine job for them early on, but the reason Bonzi was so important to this team was because of his offensive versatility. He could post smaller guards and make jumpers, too. Plus, Martin was a big part of the Kings' bench, and now that he's starting... well let's just say none of those guys would be more than an injured list spectator on an elite team. Bottom line, this team will miss the playoffs, but Ron Artest will at least make it interesting to watch them.

Projected Record: 42-40


The San Antonio Spurs

Burning Question: Can you wait to see another Mavericks/Spurs playoff series?

Justin's Take: Actually, what I can't wait to see is for them to play in the conference finals as opposed to the 2nd round. I thought it was a shame to see arguably the two best teams in the NBA last season going toe-to-toe too early in the playoffs. As a Mavericks' fan I know that the road to the Western Conference finals goes through the SBC Center, and this year is no different. Tim Duncan looks healthy after that plantar fasciitis problem last year, and he returns to elite status (however, contrary to popular belief, he was healthy by the time they played Dallas, so none of that crap about it not being the "same" San Antonio). I don't think Tony Parker can have a better shooting season than he did last year, but early on he looks like he's picking up right where he left off. I also think we'll see a more urgent Manu Ginobili this year. Those three guys form a solid nucleus and from the looks of it, they'll be a one seed, at worst a two seed going into the playoffs. I don't think there's any team that can stop them from getting to the conference finals... that is, unless the Mavericks are one of those teams. They're probably the odds-on favorite to win it all, but just like in poker, odds can only take you so far.

Projected Record: 63-19


The Seattle Supersonics

Burning Question: Defense, anyone?

Justin's Take: To give you an idea of how bad the Sonics were defensively last year, I'll use a common measure. If a team shoots 50 percent from the floor, that's considered a good night. Announcers will say that the team is collectively on fire. So... for the season opponents shot almost 49% against the Seattle. I'm not making that stat up. John Hollinger called them the worst defensive team in history. The fact that the Sonics have a shot at being a .500 ball club shows you just how good they are offensively. There isn't a player on this team (well, Danny Fortson) who can't hang 30 on a given night. This team is like a fast-paced version of the West Virginia University Mountaineers: nothing but threes and I guess an occasional Ray Allen seemingly-out-of-line-but-always-pure leaner. I think they'll maintain their current pace of 105 points per game, but what does it matter if they give up close to 110?

Projected Record: 37-45

The Utah Jazz

Burning Question: I promised not to bring up this season, but are the Jazz really as good as they look early on?

Justin's Take: I mean, they look spectacular in the early-going, on a level of "Stockton what, Malone who?". I'm not getting too excited yet. I've seen Utah starts like this before. But, in terms of personnel, this is a playoff team. I'm guilty of sleeping on them, basically saying that Denver would run away with the Northwest division, and I may have to take that back later on. Right now I think the biggest difference is Deron Williams. Building upon a solid second half last season, he is setting the world on fire early on. I don't believe he can keep up his torid pace, but if he plays consistent, turnover-free basketball, I think the Jazz can shock some people this year. They're up there, for sure. As of right now, I think they're as high as a five seed, but more realistically between six and eight.

Projected Record: 46-36

And FINALLY, the Washington Wizards

Burning Question: Why can't a smattering of fans simply accept the fact that the Wizards were not better than Cleveland last year, nor will they be better than them this year?

Justin's Take: I can't lie. I like the Wizards. If I had gotten a chance to fully write this preview, my favorite Wizard/Bullet moment would be a tie between Michael Adams' double pump threes (so that's where he learned it) and when the Bullets finally broke through and got to the playoffs in 1997, earning an 8th seed when they really should have won 50 games. But, I digress. If you guys were really better than the Cavs, you would have won more games than them last year. Notice how Cleveland was on cruise control down the stretch last season, while guys barely made the playoffs at 42-40. Then, in the playoffs, if you guys were truly better than the Cavs, then you play better in the clutch and get stops, regardless of fictitious shouts of "travel" everytime Lebron gets into the lane. Speaking of defense, that's why I can't seed the Wizards higher than sixth. Every team ahead of them plays better defense, except for maybe New Jersey, whom I think is more efficient on the offensive end (efficient and high-scoring do not equal the same thing). All that being said, there's not a doubt in my mind that the Wizards make the playoffs. Challenging for the Southwest? Not a chance in hell. First round exit? More than likely. But, hey, I'm not a hater. I'm a realist.

Projected Record: 44-38


2 Comments:

  • At 6:55 PM , Blogger Colin Donohue said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger Colin Donohue said...

    Had to comment on the Wiz stuff. You knew it was coming. First things first. It's the Southeast, not Southwest, but that's a minor factual error. Second thing is the Cavs discussion. Were the Cavs better than the Wizards? Yes. Were the Cavs eight games better than the Wizards? No. If three playoff games were won by one point, and if the Wizards won three of the four regular season meetings, it says to me the Cavs, while a better team -- or perhaps more appropriately, a mentally stronger team -- were not that much more superior and dominant. The Wizards have a number of problems, which they're demonstrating already this year, and those issues will stop them from going deep into the playoffs. I said they're close to a 50-win team. I don't necessarily believe that after watching them these first six games. But I'll stick to my prediction because I don't want to reneg on it. And finally, the third point has to do with the traveling. LeBron walked, plain as day. It wasn't fictitious at all. He traveled several times, and it was never called. I don't blame the series loss on those missed traveling calls. I blame the Wizards completely. But you can't claim the travels never happened because they were pretty damned apparent.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home