Live From The Nosebleeds

If you want unadulterated analysis of basketball, whether it's the NBA, college basketball, or some pick-up game I saw yesterday, take a gander at my blog.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Power Rankings... Justin's Version

Everybody else makes these little power rankings, so I figured I'd chime in and rank the NBA teams myself, as of Jan. 9.

1. Dallas Mavericks- I definitely agree with Marc Stein's assertion that the best team in the league should have two all-stars.

2. San Antonio Spurs- No way they're as low as Stein thinks they are. This team has had a couple tough losses lately, but they're fine.

3. Phoenix Suns- I just can't believe Phoenix is playing as well as they are. Leandro Barbosa is a monster right now.

4. Houston Rockets- They're holding up well without Yao Ming.

5. Washington Wizards- You're welcome, Colin.

6. Utah Jazz- Right now they're six, but I'm just waiting for the imminent second half collapse.

7. Cleveland Cavaliers- I never thought I'd say this at the beginning of the season, but right now the Cavs and the Wizards are the class of the Least.

8. Detroit Pistons- Based upon their results lately (including a 1-4 stretch without Chauncey Billups), this team doesn't belong up here, but pound for pound they're still probably the favorites to win the East.

9. Los Angeles Lakers- I can't ignore what they're doing right now, but I'm still not a believer (sorry, still a little bitter from the Lakers escape from Dallas.

10. Chicago Bulls- These guys are finally forgetting about the small off the court stuff and playing basketball. Nice recovery from a slow start that almost made me look like an idiot.

11. Orlando Magic- I told you guys they would come back to earth. Still, they look poised to at least make the playoffs and be a dangerous team in the first round.

12. Minnesota Timberwolves- See what happens when you start giving Randy Foye some tick?

13. Golden State Warriors- Their record is an indication of the tempo they play: up and down with many peaks and valleys. Some nights they look like a legitimate threat in the West; other nights they look like a lottery team in the East.

14. Indiana Pacers- They've been playing better lately, but of course I have to go by box scores since I haven't seen a single one of their games.

15. Toronto Raptors- They've been such a surprise that I totally ignored them in my season preview (if you don't believe me, just look.

16. Milwaukee Bucks- They were playing well, but by the next time another list comes out, I expect to have them much lower because of the "a meaningless dunk".

17. Denver Nuggets- When does Carmelo Anthony come back again?

18. Sacramento Kings- Did anybody catch Charles Barkley announcing the game on Thursday? Favorite moment of the game: Brian Cook, who was having a pretty good night, forces up a shot off the dribble--something he never does. Barkley: "Oh my God..."

19. New York Knicks- They're ten wins away from how many I projected them to win prior to the season. That's cool and all, but it won't save Isiah Thomas' job.

20. Portland Trailblazers- I give them this spot because they are playing somewhat competitive basketball, which is surprising given how young of a team they field. Not only that, but for the most part they've stayed out of the headlines.

21. New Jersey Nets- I'm just waiting for them to wake-up and take control of the Atlantic Division, but with each passing day that Toronto sits atop of the division, I'm starting to wonder...

22. Los Angeles Clippers- Call it the "Justin Cherot Pre-Season Curse" or whatever, but I cannot think of a logical explanation as to why the Clippers are the Clippers again.

23. Seattle Supersonics- Marc Stein may be onto something about Ray Allen and the old ball. Then again, he was hurt for much of November and December.

These last spots are just ridiculous to rank. Let's see...

24. Boston Celtics- They're the most competitive of the cellar dwellers, and only because they're in the worst division in college basketball. That is not a typo.

25. New Orleans Hornets- In their defense, they've had to deal with a good amount of injuries. If everyone's healthy they're at least ten spots higher.

26. Atlanta Hawks- 10-21 isn't that bad. At least this team is showing improvement, though it's never a good time when your best player hits a wall.

27. Charlotte Bobcats- Similar to the Trailblazers, these guys have been playing hard, and it seems like Adam Morrison is starting to get used to life in the league.

28. Philadelphia 76ers- Um... at least Kyle Korver is playing well.

29. Memphis Grizzlies- Okay, so I was wrong about the Grizz. It is a long season though, so don't count this team all the way... alright I'll stop. Welcome to the Greg Oden, sweepstakes, Memphis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home