Live From The Nosebleeds

If you want unadulterated analysis of basketball, whether it's the NBA, college basketball, or some pick-up game I saw yesterday, take a gander at my blog.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Davidson vs. Goliath

I know, I know: the title is cheesy, and I bet if I Googled it this article would probably show up at least four or five times by journalists who were probably like, "Wow, this sounds catchy!"

Alas, the title does say it all. Despite having made a miracle run to the Elite 8 by beating Gonzaga, Georgetown (killed my bracket), and Wisconsin, Davidson beating the Kansas Jayhawks will be their most daunting task, borderlining on the realms of impossibility. That being said, out of every college basketball game this year, I think this one may be the most intriguing to the masses.

Why? Simple: Stephen Curry has "it". He's the ultimate underdog, not having been recruited by any big-time schools and yet carving up defenses with his lethal jumper and cold-bloodedness. On paper there's no way Davidson should be able to compete with the schools they beat, but this kid willed them to victory. College basketball fans love that, the virtual unknown coming into his own on the biggest of stages.

People question his ability to be effective at the next level. As a matter of fact, I completely agree with NBA Draft.net's assertion that Curry is somewhere in between Juan Dixon and Steve Kerr skillwise. But, given his intangibles, I definitely see him being a contributor at the next level. That's later though; all indications are that he'll be back for his junior year.

I just want to enjoy today, where he'll be chased around all day by Mario Chalmers and Russell Robinson. Great defenders they are, I don't think they'll effect Curry as much as experts think they will. This kid has been the focal point of defenses all year, so what's different now?

Does Davidson win? Paper says they have absolutely no chance, with Kansas steamrolling opponents by an impressive 21 point clip. But, ask George Mason about paper.

That's why I'll be watching.

Oh, and I think Texas beats Memphis today. I know I praised them and everything early in the season, but the Longhorns will be the best team they've played all year by far. Too much balance, PLUS they're playing in Houston. It should be a great game, but it will be Derrick Rose's final one as a collegiate athlete (thoughts of Rose and Durant are already running through my head).

Enjoy the games.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home